The masala sauce makes this dish one of our absolute favorite comfort-food meals. Serve with brown rice or a large fresh salad. Or both.
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp garam masala or any curry powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp masala paste
- 800g canned chopped tomatoes
- 800g canned garbanzo beans, drained
- Fresh coriander to serve
- Melt coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and fry for 1 minute until fragrant, then add the onion and fry for another 7-10 minutes until softened.
- Put the ginger, green chilli and garlic into the pan, and cook for 2-3 mins. Add the spices and masala paste and cook for a further 2 mins until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer, then tip in the garbanzo beans and cook for a further 20 mins until thickened. Season to taste.
- Serve with brown rice or a baked sweet potato, or just on its own with a coriander garnish.