These sweet and gooey cupcakes are as good as any you’ll taste and prove you don’t need eggs to make cakes. Don’t believe us? Well, there’s only one way to find out!
Credit: Ornish Lifestyle Medicine
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 CUP pitted medjool dates about 10 dates, or 6 oz
- 3/4 CUP hot water
- 1 CUP whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 CUP unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 TEASPOON baking powder
- 1/2 TEASPOON baking soda
- 1/4 TEASPOON fine sea salt
- 1CUP unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 CUP pure maple syrup
- 2 TEASPOONS vanilla extract
- 1 TEASPOON apple cider vinegar
- 1 CUP fresh raspberries – 4 oz
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray, or line muffin cups with paper liners and lightly spray liners.
- Place dates in a small bowl. Cover with 3/4 cup hot water. Cover bowl and let sit until dates are soft (10-15 minutes).
- In a food processor, blend softened dates and any remaining soaking liquid until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together date puree, almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla, and cider vinegar.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients, mixing gently just until smooth. Fold in raspberries.
- Spoon 1/4 cup batter into each muffin cup.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in a cupcake comes out clean, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place muffin pan on a rack and let cupcakes cool in the pan for 10 minutes, until cupcakes pull away slightly from the edges of the muffin cups.
- Remove cupcakes from pan.
- Serve warm or let cool to room temperature.