- 200g mixed dried fruit
- 1 small apple, peeled, cored, and finely diced
- 30g vegan butter
- 50g dark brown sugar
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 1 orange, zest only
- 2 tbsp brandy (optional)
- 1 pack vegan shortcrust pastry (around 350-375g)
- Icing sugar, to dust
For the brandy butter:
- 125g vegan butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3-4 tbsp brandy
- Place the mixed fruit, apple, butter, sugar, mixed spice, nutmeg, lemon zest, and orange zest into a pan and heat it over a medium heat until the butter is simmering. Let it cook for 10 minutes, stirring every now and then.
- Remove from the heat and set aside. When cool, mix in the brandy, if using.
- Heat the oven to 190°C.
- Cut 12 rounds from the pastry, ensuring there is sufficient left to make the tops. Place the rounds in the dips of a tartlet tin and spoon the mincemeat mixture evenly between them.
- Now, cut out star shapes from the remains of the pastry, and place one on each pie.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden then remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the brandy butter by whisking together the butter and sugar until it is fluffy and light. Stir in the vanilla essence and brandy and refrigerate until needed.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle the mince pies with icing sugar and serve with the brandy butter.
This recipe is part of our Traditional British Christmas Recipes booklet that you can download for free here: