You don’t have to wait for summer to try this ingenious – if unusual- recipe, and these smoky, marinated carrots are likely to become your surprise hit of the year!
- carrots, cut to fit the buns (4)
- rice vinegar (or apple cider vinegar and a dash of salt) (1/4 cup)
- water (1/4 cup)
- soy sauce (2 tbsp.)
- garlic powder (or 1/2 clove garlic, minced) (1/4 tsp.)
- liquid smoke (1/4 tsp.)
- black pepper (to taste)
- hot dog buns, toasted (4)
- Boil water in a large pot. Lower heat to medium and add the carrots. Cook until just fork-tender—you want them to have a snap when you bite into them. Remove from pot and run under cold water.
- In a container with a tight-fitting lid, combine the remaining ingredients to make the marinade. Tighten the lid and shake until well-mixed.
- Place the carrots in a container in which they can lie flat. Pour the marinade over them and marinate at least 3-4 hours, up to 24. The longer they marinate, the more vinegar flavor they take on. If the carrots are very thin, keep the time short.
- To serve, put the carrots in a 350 F oven, or in a grill pan on a hot grill, until heated through, 10-15 minutes. You can also cook these in your slow cooker in the marinade. You need to check on them so they do not get mushy. Cook until a fork just goes through the carrot but it is still slightly firm.
- Serve in a toasted hot dog bun or wrapped in a lettuce or collard leaf, and pile on your favorite toppings, including mustard, relish, tomatoes, onions, sprouts, purple cabbage, and peppers.