This cheesecake is proof positive that you don’t need to miss out on anything you love when you choose to eat plant-based foods. It’s sweet, creamy, and absolutely delicious.
Credit: Chef Remis Alam
- 250g vegan coconut cookies
- 120g unsalted margarine, melted
- 350g extra firm tofu
- 150g brown sugar
- 200g blanched almonds
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- ½ lime, juice only
- 400ml soy milk
- 3 tbsp agar agar + 1 tbsp more for the pulp
- 300g passion fruit pulp
- In a food mixer, make the base by blitzing the coconut cookies with the melted margarine to form a sandy but compact consistency.
- Press this into a springform cake tin and refrigerate.
- Now, blend the tofu, sugar, almonds, vanilla, lime, and soy milk. Pour into a pan and bring to low heat with 3 tablespoons of agar agar. Mix with a whisk until any lumps of the agar have dissolved (it is not necessary to boil).
- Pour the cheesecake mixture onto the crust. Put it into the freezer for 20 mins.
- Pour the passion fruit pulp into a pan over a medium heat, add the remaining tablespoon of agar agar, and mix with the whisk until the agar is fully dissolved.
- Gently pour the passion fruit onto the cheesecake layer and refrigerate for 6 hours.