Who doesn’t love mac n cheese? It’s comfort food in a bowl. This one is made with cashew nuts and nutritional yeast, making it a little bit more nutritious than some recipes, but still just as tasty.
- 1½ cups cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours
- 10 oz pasta of your choice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 6 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup plant milk
- 2 cups packed spinach
- Salt and pepper
- 3 oz dairy-free cheese, shredded
- Heat the oven to 400F.
- Cook the pasta following the instructions on the packet. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, fry the onion in the olive oil until soft, then add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Blend the onions and garlic along with the paprika, mustard, nutritional yeast, broth and plant milk. Add the drained cashews and blend until smooth. (If you don’t have a super high-power blender, this will take a few minutes, or you can accept a little more texture in your sauce.)
- Warm the sauce over a medium heat for a few minutes to let it thicken a bit. Add the spinach, and stir until it wilts, then add the pasta and mix well. Season to taste.
- Pour this into either one large or four individual ovenproof dishes. Sprinkle the cheese on top and cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes.