Don’t let the color put you off! This is one of the most delicious cakes you will ever eat, and it is certainly one of the healthiest, too. The sweetest way to eat your greens.
For the cake
- 4 cups raw kale (stripped from the stem and chopped)
- 3 cups wholemeal flour (can be spelt flour)
- 1 cup of maple or brown rice syrup
- 3/4 cup water (or orange juice)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking soda
For the frosting
- 1 1/3 cup fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup cashews (soaked for 5-10 mins in boiling water)
- 1/2 cup maple or brown rice syrup
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Steam the kale (or cook with a small amount of water) until is dark green and soft (about 2 minutes).
- Drain the kale and add it to a food processor along with the syrup, vanilla, applesauce, vinegar and water (or orange juice).
- Blend until mixed – it will look like a green smoothie.
- In a big bowl mix the flour with baking soda and then add the green liquid.
- Stir until a batter has formed, and then pour the batter into two silicone cake pans (you can grease these with oil).
- Bake for 30 minutes then leave them cool.
- Make the frosting: put all the ingredients to the high speed blender and blend until it is smooth.
- Leave for about 15-20 minutes in the fridge.
- Once everything has cooled, top the cakes with frosting, place one on top of the other, and sprinkle with fresh blueberries.