This is a riff on the classic huevos rancheros, switching out the eggs for tofu. It’s super-satisfying and a great protein-packed dish.
- extra firm tofu (8 ounces)
- Yukon Gold potato, cubed (1)
- salt (1/4 tsp.)
- ground turmeric (2 tsp.)
- chili powder (1/2 tsp.)
- salsa (1/2 cup)
- tortillas or pieces of toast (3)
- chopped fresh cilantro (3 tbsp.)
- Roma tomato, diced (1)
- Crumble the tofu in a mixing bowl.
- Cook the potato by steaming it for about 5 minutes.
- While steaming, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add tofu and salt and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring gently and slowly.
- Add the turmeric, chili powder, and potato, cooking for 1 minute more.
- Add the salsa.
- Place equal portions of the scrambled tofu on each toast or tortilla, then top with cilantro and tomato. Leftovers: Heat the scrambled tofu over medium heat for about 3 minutes, adding the salsa after about 1 minute. Cook for another 2 minutes and then complete with the other ingredients.