Sometimes the simple things are the best, and in this risotto, the flavors of the vegetables shine through. We love it served alongside a bean burger or with some marinated tofu.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1½ cups short grain brown rice
- 2½ cups vegetable broth
- 5oz fresh asparagus, broken into small pieces, with woody ends discarded
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- Handful fresh parsley, chopped
- Black pepper to season
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic, and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the rice, covering it with the onion and garlic.
- Add the broth. Bring to the boil, cover and reduce the heat. Let it simmer until the rice is almost cooked and most of the liquor has been absorbed. If it starts to run dry, add a little more water.
- Towards the end, steam the asparagus and peas over the pan. Then, when the rice is cooked, mix them in.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the parsley and add black pepper to taste.