- 4 tbsp vegan butter, divided
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 500g red cabbage, shredded
- 100ml red wine
- 100ml vegetable stock
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced or grated
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pan, fry the onion in 2 tbsp of the butter over a medium heat for about five minutes. Add the cabbage and stir to mix well.
- Pour in the red wine and vegetable stock.
- Cover with a lid and bring the pan to the boil. Turn down the heat and let it simmer away on the hob for 50 minutes. (Stir every now and then and check it hasn’t dried out.)
- When the cabbage is beautifully soft, remove from the heat and stir in the remaining butter and garlic. Season to taste.
This recipe is part of our Traditional British Christmas Recipes booklet that you can download for free here: