These oyster mushroom nuggets might just be one of your next favourite recipes. Although there are many ways to make vegan “fried chicken”, using mushrooms adds just more flavour and natural textures to your modified “meat”.
- 8-10 fresh oyster mushroom clusters or 100 gms dried oyster mushrooms
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp chicken masala
- ½ tsp salt
For the dipping batter
- 1 cup refined flour (maida)
- ¼ cup corn flour
- ½ cups water
- 1 tsp rock salt
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
For the dry mix
- ½ cup refined flour
- ½ cup corn starch
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ tsp black pepper or 1 tsp white pepper powder
- ½ tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
2 tbsp nutritional yeast for garnishing
Oil for deep frying, preferably cold pressed oil
- If you are using dried oyster mushrooms, boil them till they are soft, approximately for 5 minutes, and drain. If you are using fresh ones, wash and drain them.
- Mix the ginger-garlic paste, cumin powder, red chilli powder and chicken masala in a small bowl.
- Place the drained mushrooms in a large mixing bowl and add the mixed marinade. Mix or toss it well and let it marinate for 15 minutes.
- Place two large plates with kitchen towels on them to soak up the excess oil from deep frying on the side.
- In a medium-size bowl whisk together all the ingredients for the dry mix.
- In a second medium-size bowl, whisk together all the ingredients of the wet mix.
- Place two large plates near these bowls to put the coated mushrooms on.
- Heat oil on low heat in a kadhai.
- While the oil is heating, dip the oyster mushroom clusters first into the wet batter, then into the dry, making sure it’s thoroughly coated, pressing with your hands to get the flour to adhere in a thick layer. Place these on the plates to rest.
- Working in batches, place the mushroom clusters into the hot oil using tongs or gently with your fingers, and fry 2-3 mins per side until they’re golden brown and crispy.
- Then, place them onto the plates with the paper napkins for them to absorb the excess oil.
- Repeat with remaining mushrooms.
- Place them on 4 serving plates and sprinkle them with the nutritional yeast.
- Serve on their own or with dipping sauces of your choice like a vegan mayonnaise or tomato ketchup.